Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Back to Reality...



Tomorrow it is back to reality.... time to step back into the world... a new year... I don't make resolutions as they really are hard to keep as time goes on... my word for the school year has been and continues to be, Inspire.  I use it everyday... I say it to the kids at school... we talk about how everyday we are inspired by others in many ways...


I spent my break crocheting for hours on end, binging on Netflix and disconnecting from everything that didn't matter... it was awesome! I couldn't tell what day it was, I didn't know what the weather was until it happened, I couldn't tell you what was happening in the world outside my little cocoon and I didn't care... I stepped away from the outside world and it was very relaxing... I made the occasional trip to the market for things we needed and did go to a few stores after the holidays but soon came home because the crowds were nuts and people were rushing around like ants...


I needed solitude... I needed time to re-charge... I needed time to create...


I finished a couple of projects that have been sitting in my basket...


I was inspired by the beautiful bags from Bookhou to redesign a tote I had lying around into a new, amazing bag for me to carry through the winter months into spring...


I started with this...




Took the handles off, made a tiny leaf stamp, mixed up a brown that matched the purse strap that I took from an old bag that I disassembled for the hardware and printed the design after I did a few test swatches on scrap fabric to see how it looked...


I made a lining from some stash fabric, added a pocket inside recycled from a pair of jeans and added a zipper to the top...


I hand sewed the strap on by following the holes from the previous stitching... it was slow and frustrating at times to find the holes to stitch through but I got in a groove and trudged through... it was worth it...


I started a new shawl using the graph from a Japanese pattern... I don't have any true red shawls, this yarn is the perfect shade of red ( it translates a little brighter than it is in this picture).


I'm back to adding more rows to my poor neglected crocodile stitch shawl that I started in August...
for now I'll run a couple of errands, do some laundry( it would be good to have clothes to wear tomorrow), eat some more food ( like I haven't eaten enough these past couple of weeks...salads here I come...), figure out where we left off at school and get my thoughts organized for tomorrow.... Hope you all have a great week!
Mrs."C"  :)













4 comments:

  1. Some really great projects. Hope you no feel refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year as I told you before I love your word, Inspire is soooooo you! I binged a bi on Netflix myself, I started watching parenthood and I love it. Just started season 2.
    Hugs and good luck at work.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had the perfect break. That's exactly what I like to do. Just hunker down in the house and crochet and watch TV or music. Sooooo good! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to unwind and do projects for yourself is what break is all about! How are we supposed to inspire others if we don't have time to reflect and create on what makes us happy. That bag is beautiful and what's even better is you get to tell everyone that you made it when you get compliments. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete